The City, Police Department and Fire Department want everyone to have a happy and safe 4th of July celebration. With extremely dry conditions during our severe drought, be even more mindful when lighting fireworks. Being aware of certain facts and exercising care is what will help us all keep our communities safe this year. Remember that it is illegal for fireworks to be used by anyone under age 18. Please be vigilant and follow the guidelines below when lighting Safe & Sane fireworks this year:
- Only use ‘safe and sane’ fireworks.
- Light fireworks from the ground, not on elevated surfaces.
- Do not use fireworks near dry grass or other flammable materials.
- Do not use fireworks while under a canopy, covered balcony, covered patio, or under a tree or bushes.
- Never attempt to relight or “fix” fireworks.
- Dispose of used fireworks in a bucket of water.
- Have a garden hose ready, in case of fire.
A zero-tolerance policy is in place for illegal fireworks. If you see illegal fireworks being used, or fireworks being used in an unsafe manner, please call 911. The Fire Department is beefing up its arson and fire investigators for the upcoming Independence Day weekend.
Please take a moment to review the below information as well as the additional fireworks safety tips. The following pertains to the jurisdictional boundaries of the City of Sacramento:
- The use of “safe and sane” fireworks is limited to the time period from noon on June 28th through midnight on July 4th of the same year.
- Fireworks booth operating dates and hours are June 28th from Noon – 10 p.m., and June 29th through July 4th from 9 a.m. – 10 p.m.
- To voluntarily turn in illegal fireworks, please call 916-264-5471 or 916-808-1623.
- For questions or complaints regarding fireworks booths and/or fireworks, aerial and/or proximate firework public display events, email Fire Prevention Team: firstname.lastname@example.org