Sacramento Utilities Department reminds customers to limit water use during hottest summer days.
The City of Sacramento Department of Utilities announces a Spare the Water Alert through July 3, 2015. Spare the Water Alerts are typically declared when three consecutive days of 100+ degree temperatures are forecasted. However, with these extreme temperatures over the week, the City is asking customers to cut back on their non-essential water use, only water on their scheduled watering days, and to water only before 10 a.m. and after 7 p.m.
“It is especially important to use water wisely during the drought and on these hot days as statewide water supplies are short, river levels are low, and operational costs are higher. While the City doesn’t expect to have supply issues, the extended stretch of high temperatures can push our equipment to its limit.
Drought and high temperatures are a good reminder of how precious a resource water is and why we need to conserve it,” said Terrance Davis, the City of Sacramento Department of Utilities Sustainability Program Manager.
Suggested ways that customers can save water on Spare the Water Days and every day, especially during the drought:
- Follow the City’s Watering Rules. Water lawns and gardens before 10 a.m. or after 7 p.m. and water only on scheduled watering days:
- odd numbered address on Tuesday and Saturday
- even numbered address on Wednesday and Sunday
- No outside irrigation is allowed on Mondays, Thursdays or Fridays
- Cutting back irrigation watering 1-2 minutes per station can save up to 250 gallons of water per cycle
- Run major appliances with full loads before 10 a.m. or after 7 p.m. for optimum water and energy savings
- Wait until the heat wave breaks to wash your cars or visit a commercial car wash that recycles water
- Turn off the faucet while brushing teeth, washing hands or scrubbing dishes
- For more information on ways to save water, visit www.SpareSacWater.org.
View our post on ways to keep cool during the heat.
For more information on the City’s River-friendly Landscaping program, rebate programs – toilets, clothes washers, dishwashers and aerators with high-efficiency models, or upgrading water-wasting sprinklers and irrigation equipment, visit our Rebates page.