First Day Out – November 1, 2017, Last Day Out – January 31, 2018
City of Sacramento residential customers can legally place yard waste piles in the street for collection during the City’s designated leaf season of November, December and January. The first day yard waste piles can be placed on the street for collection is Wednesday, November 1, 2017. The last day piles can be placed on the street will be Wednesday, January 31, 2018.
Leaf season service is for residential customers only. Commercial properties may not place yard waste in the street.
Weekly residential yard waste container collection will continue year-round on customer’s usual collection day. It can take claw service crews, on average, up to 14 days to complete one leaf sweep of the City. It will usually not occur on your regularly scheduled yard waste container collection day.
The City encourages residents to use the container first then use the pile.
“We collect 54-million pounds of yard waste during leaf season,” states Jerome Council, the Interim Integrated Waste General Manager for the City of Sacramento. “More than half, 28-million pounds, are picked up during weekly container service. By using the container along with the pile our crews can clear streets faster and the Claw may come through your neighborhood more frequently.”
From October 31, 2017 to January 31, 2018, residents can get an estimate of when the next pile collection will occur in their neighborhood by visiting www.SacRecycle.org. The schedule will show the last pickup and an estimate of the next collection date. The schedule is updated daily based on volume of yard waste from the previous day, weather contains and equipment availability. Check back frequently since dates do change often.
Leaf Pile Guidelines
- Piles should be no more than two cubic yards in size (3’x3’x6’ pile).
- Place the pile six feet from any obstruction (cars, boats, basketball hoops etc.)
- Make sure there is space between the curb and pile to allow water to flow to storm drains. Do not place piles in bike lanes.
- Do not put pet waste in any yard waste pile or container. Pet waste goes into the garbage container.
- Piles should not be in plastic bags.
- Christmas Trees will be accepted in piles
- Yard waste piles that are on the street before November 1 or after January 31 may be tagged by code enforcement as illegal dumping and property owners may be subject to fines.