Beginning Monday, June 25, the City of Sacramento will begin the J Street Safety Project from 19th to 30th streets.
The project will make J Street more inviting by calming traffic, reducing travel lanes to shorten the crossing distance for pedestrians, and adding a protected bikeway. All businesses in the area will remain open.
Construction Schedule and Impacts
We’re minimizing impacts to the public as well as businesses located on J Street. Residents and motorists plan ahead should plan ahead to avoid possible delays.
- Construction takes place from June 25 to August 10 and is subject to change
- Lane closures are expected Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Road closures occur three blocks at a time on weekends from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. beginning, Saturday, June 30. Motorists should watch for signs and detours. Weekend J Street closures include:
- June 30: 19th – 22nd Street
- July 1: 22nd – 25th Street
- July 7: 25th – 28th Street
- July 8: 28th – 30th Street
More about Parking Protected Bikeways
Parking Protected Bikeways are created by moving the parking lane into the street and placing the bikeway next to the curb. This turns the parking lane into a buffer zone between bicyclists and moving vehicles.
These bikeways allow people of all skill levels to bike the grid, separated from moving traffic. They also improve pedestrian safety by increasing sight lines and reducing the number of travel lanes to cross.