The California State Assembly has declared July as “Parks Make Life Better Month.”
For the entire month, the City’s Youth Parks and Community Enrichment department will showcase the many programs and facilities that help enrich the quality of life of Sacramento residents.
To kick-off the celebration, here are five reasons why City parks make life better:
- Space to breath: In the City of Sacramento there are 226 parks and parkways totaling nearly 3,200 acres of land. Some parks are located adjacent to elementary schools and park amenities are usually oriented toward the recreation needs of children. Specialized amenities may also be found in community parks including community centers, water play areas or swimming pools
- Youth programs: The department recently launched a new web page that offers easy-to-access information about City-supported programs dedicated to helping young people succeed. Programs available include: Sacramento Youth Commission, Youth Employment, and Extended Learning .
- Pools: The City operates 13 pools and 4 play pools across the Sacramento Area. From swim lessons to family nights to lap swim and water aerobics, every pool offers something for everyone
- Dog parks: Parks provide positive spaces and gathering places for socializing for all including four-legged friends! The City has 12 off-leash dog parks that include benches, shade areas, drinking fountains for dogs, and plenty of room to run. Dogs of all sizes are welcome.
- Youth focus: In 2018, the City’s parks department underwent a reorganization and renaming, becoming Youth Parks & Community Enrichment. All park related programs and upgrades to facilities reflect the council-adopted focus of supporting the City’s youth.
The Parks Make Life Better campaign is spearheaded by the California Park and Recreation Society. According to the organization, the goal of the campaign is to raise awareness of the benefits of parks and recreation throughout California, and to raise the status of parks and recreation as an essential community service.