With the holidays just around the corner and a winter chill in the air, we have entered the season of active fireplaces and heaters, cook-a-thons and turkey deep fryers, decorative candles and holiday tree lighting. In light of these potential fire hazards, the City of Sacramento Fire Department reminds residents to be mindful and safe.
In your kitchen:
- Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, broiling, baking, or roasting food.
- When you cook, wear clothing with tight-fitting sleeves.
- Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the stove and use the back burners whenever possible.
- Clean up food and grease from burners and stove tops.
In your home:
- Make sure your smoke alarms are working properly.
- Have heat burning equipment (fire place, wood stoves, etc.) inspected by a professional each year before use.
- Make sure candles are not left unattended while burning.
- When using your fireplace, make sure the flue is fully opened for adequate ventilation.
- Don’t warm your vehicles inside the garage. Back the vehicle out onto the driveway to warm.