Thousands of athletes are expected to participate in the 2023 IRONMAN California race in Sacramento on Sunday, Oct. 22.
The triathlon competition will temporarily close several streets in downtown and midtown Sacramento. The Oct. 22 event ends at the California State Capitol.
Some streets will close starting Thursday, Oct. 19, as organizers prepare for the race, which includes a 2.4-mile swimming portion through the American and Sacramento rivers, a 112-mile biking portion and a 26.2-mile running portion. Motorists should expect traffic delays.
The areas most directly affected on Oct. 22 by the competition will be Old Sacramento, downtown and Capitol Mall. (Click on the maps below to see the biking and running courses).
Streets affected by the competition are as follows:
Thursday, Oct. 19 at 8 a.m. to Monday, Oct. 23 at 1 p.m.
- Capitol Mall from Fifth to Ninth streets
Sunday, Oct. 23 (Race Day)
- Tower Bridge Gateway from Riverfront to Front streets closes at 7 a.m. and opens at 11 a.m.
- Front Street (Old Sac) Parking Strip from I Street to Neasham Circle closes at 10:30 a.m. and opens at 11:30 p.m.
- Neasham Circle from Front Street (Old Sac) to Front Street closes at 10:30 a.m. and opens at 11:30 p.m.
- Front Street (southbound) from Neasham Circle to Broadway closes at 10:30 a.m. and opens at 11:30 p.m.
- Eastbound Jibboom Street Bridge from Sacramento River Bike Trail to Natomas Park Drive closes at 10:30 a.m. and opens at 11:30 p.m.
- R Street from Second to Seventh streets closes at 11 a.m. and opens at 12:30 a.m. (Monday)
- Seventh Street from R to N streets closes at 11 a.m. and opens at 12:30 a.m. (Monday)
- N Street from Seventh to 13th streets closes at 11 a.m. and opens at 1:30 a.m. (Monday)
- L Street from Ninth to 15th streets closes at 11 a.m. and opens at 2 a.m. (Monday)
- Ninth Street from L to N streets closes at 11 a.m. and opens at 2 a.m. (Monday)
Freeway Closures (closes at 7 a.m. and reopens at 7 p.m. on race day)
- Westbound I-50 off ramp from 5th Street
- Eastbound I-50 on ramp from River Road on ramp near 15th Street
Find a map and more information on traffic impacts on IRONMAN’s website.